I am believed to have a foot/ankle/calve infection from a

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am believed to have a foot/ankle/calve infection from a wound on the bottom of my foot. I am diabetic and my A!C has consistently been between 6.2 and 6.5 for several years now. I was prescribed with Amox-clav 875 and have been taking it for a week or so twice a day. I have seen improvements as a result. Stools have softened but no diarrhea. However I do have a body itch that is uncomfortable but not extreme. It is tolerable and I hate to quit the medication partially through the treatment. Do I need to contact my Doctor about this itching?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
This maybe allergy to Amoxicillin and you need to have a different antibiotic to help with the infection

Detailed Answer:

The itchiness while on antibiotics can be due to an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. It is important to see your doctor and tell this to your doctor as soon as possible. Your doctor will be able to change the antibiotic to another one in a different family that is as effective as Amoxiclav but you might not have any allergy to them.

I understand your concern with stopping an antibiotics half way while it is helping with the infection. There are many other options that the doctor can use in place of Amoxiclav and be quite effective.
Options that the doctor can use are Cephalexine, Clindamycine, Co-trimoxazole, Doxycycline, etc.

Continuing the antibiotic while you might be developing allergy to it, it is risky. There are different kinds of allergic reaction, some patients get only skin symptoms with itchyness and or rash, and sometimes may develop respiratory symptoms like shortness of breath and swelling in the throat which are very dangerous sings and need urgent medical care. To avoid developing of respiratory symptoms the patient needs to stop the antibiotic while he is developing itchiness or other skin symptoms like rash. On the other hand due to the need to treat the infection you will need to use another antibiotic in its place so seeing the doctor to have a different antibiotic is important.

To conclude i would say:
- if you are developing itchiness, this might be a sign of allergic reaction to the antibiotic and you will need to stop the antibiotic to avoid more severe forms of allergy
- please see your doctor as soon as possible to have another prescription with a different antibiotic that can be effective in skin infection

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T