I am a screenwriter. My current project involves a transradial

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Mon, 11 Mar 2019 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I am a screenwriter. My current project involves a transradial amputee receiving their first prosthetic arm. Below is a brief medical history and series of events that leads to their amputation. I'd like to know whether you think this is plausible. The health profile filled out will be that of the patient character.

33 year old male diabetic, heavy smoker (2-3 packs a day, 10+ years) comes into hospital after being assaulted with what he believes is a broken left arm: it's purple-black discoloured and in severe pain. He says that the arm had experienced some pain and numbness for a couple weeks before, but after it was broken it became unbearable. Black spots are noticed on his elbow and forearm. Upon taking blood pressure of both his arms, we find the left has significantly lower blood pressure than the right. An ultrasound to the arm and angiogram detects a clot, a blood panel finds an infection in his bloodstream. It is determined that he has dry gangrene in his arm, and the safest way forward is amputation.

Does this seem right to you? What strikes you as not possible, malpractice, etc.?

Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 0 minute later
I am a screenwriter. My current project involves a transradial amputee receiving their first prosthetic arm. Below is a brief medical history and series of events that leads to their amputation. I'd like to know whether you think this is plausible. The health profile filled out will be that of the patient character.

Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details that I may add to your description are explained below in details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

In my opinion the description is right in general.

I would change some points:

1) The age of the patient. The patient should be at the 50 which is the age who suffers more from diabetes.

2) You can add high cholesterol, high blood pressure or cardiac issues to the profile

3) The patient as prescribed should have a fever

4) You can add to the prescription of dry gangrene numbness, swelling, pain, skin breakdown, and coolness

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 0 minute later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I would change some points: