Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

I am a quadriplegic and feeling light headed. How to overcome this problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I am quadrapelegic for 46 years since 11 years old now 56. Have been light headed for 1 week now.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for your question,
Lightheadedness, often dizziness is a common symptom. Diagnosis depends on the mode of presentation, severity, causing factors and alleviating factors. One of the commonest causes of this symptom is low blood pressure, which leads to a decrease in blood supply to the brain. This can be associated to excess in take of a drug used for high blood pressure, sever anemia, fluid loss due to diarrheoa or excessive urination in diabetes.
Other causes like pathologies could also give a sensation of being lightheaded. A physical examination by your family physician could help in orienting towards the cause, and eliminating common causes like low blood pressure. At times in some cases, a neurologist could be of help prescribing specific paraclinical exams that are very important in the diagnosis.
I suggest you get an appointment first with your response, you might either be sent to be seen by a neurologist or at times cardiologist, depending on the clinical orientation.
Hope this helps as I shall be glad in making further suggestions if need be.
thanks and best regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor