I am a 69 year old female & I m

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 69 year old female & I'm still getting acne type breakouts mostly on my face but occasionally on my upper thighs & behind the knees. They start as an itch or lump & when I use a blackhead remover tool, I get a tiny white "plug" after which the sight bleeds alot. It takes between 1 day & 3 weeks to heal completely. I've tried several soaps & cleaners for washing plus numerous OTC treatments but nothing seems to help. The flare-ups develop in just a few hours: the spot will be fine in the A.M. then a couple of hours later, there'll be a lump or plugged pore. What else can I do?
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be rosacea.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

I think you are suffering from rosacea. Judging your symptoms it leads to rosacea.
I think you may need treatment with metronidazole and doxocycline.

Also you may need to use isotretinoin to clear skin bumps. It is also uses in acne.

You can also try use morass gel for redness.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 20 hours later
I am afraid I may not have described the problem clearly enough. I do not have a rash nor is it on my cheeks. It seems that individual pores are affected. Right now, I have 1 on my forehead, 1 on my nose & 4 on my chin. Many times, the same pores are affected from one time to the next. I have tried alcohol, peroxide, witch XXXXXXX Clearasil, an OTC product with salicylic acid & a homemade mix of hot water, epsom salts & iodine, but nothing seems to help in the long term. At first I thought it was because I work in a dusty environment & dirt clogged the pores but I've been off work for 4 to 6 days & the sores still developed. The affected pores I have right now on my face are anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks old. Do you have any other suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apply clindamycin and retinoid cream.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and thank you for asking again.
It is more clear now. Since you have few elements I think it is better if you use topical antibiotic cream with clindamycin and retinoid.
Apply it over acne three times daily.

The dusty environment you are working in can nock pores and make them infected.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad