I am a 28 yr old female and in the

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 1 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: I am a 28 yr old female and in the past week have suffered from debilitating health anxiety. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder 10 years ago but have managed it fairly well with a clean diet and rigorous exercise 5-6x a week. However, I recently got it into my head that I may have developed a brain aneurysm. I sometimes suffer from constipation and sometimes strain very, very hard to pass a compacted stool. I am now terrified that because of that, I have given myself an aneurysm. I wound up in the ER last week desperate for help and had a CT scan done. CT scan was all clear. My question is: is it even possible for me to have given myself an aneurysm in this way and is the CT scan result correct? I am second guessing the result and am terrified and don't know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CT scan is enough to identify brain aneurysm

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns about ongoing health anxiety.

However I like to make it clear that with current technology it is not difficult to diagnose brain aneurysm and in this regard CT scan brain or MRI brain are very helpful. Since your CT scan brain is turned out completely normal I do not see any reason for suffering with brain aneurysm.

Although CT scan brain is enough to help you in getting rid of anxiety but to add on this I like to inform you that at 28 years of age it is almost impossible to get brain aneurysms unless you have strong family history of same problem.

In addition constipation alone is not sufficient to cause brain aneurysm in otherwise healthy persons like you.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad