I am 77 years old and one breast is very
Detailed answer and explanations given below
I understand that mammograme can be very uncomfortable especially while you have breast pain. On the other hand would be good to have a visit with your doctor to have some clues what might be causing the pain. An ultrasound can be an alternative at the moment till the pain is settled. You can also have some painkillers to quiet your pain like Ibuprofen and paracetamol and sometimes your doctor may prescribe a dose of tramadol just for the day you will have the mammograme.
Do you have any redness or swelling of the breast or any secretions from the nipple? Do you have any fever? Mastitis is a breast infection that can cause a lot of pain but is not common outside of breastfeeding so it is less likely you have it but if you have redness and swelling of the breast and also some fever this may be a cause of it and your doctor should be able by examining you to determine if you have mastitis or not. If he thinks it is mastitis then antibiotics will be prescribed and when you feel better mammograme may follow to rule out other underlying conditions.
To conclude i would say:
- you will need a visit with your doctor so he can try to rule out infection of the breast or if he can feel a lump. If infection is present it needs to be treated first and then you can have other examinations to detect any possible underlying conditions.
- the doctor can also check for lumps in the breast and in the armpits so to have a better idea what is going on
- another alternative is the ultrasound examination of the breast that may be done, it is less uncomfortable then the mammograme and gives some information
- the doctor can give drugs to control pain and help you have the mammograme as well.
I hope this answers to your question but please feel free to reply in case more clarification is needed on this.
Dr Antoneta Zotaj, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- is it hpv?
- I am 77 years old and one breast is very
- I felt a sudden sharp pain in my inside wrist
- Is there a sleeping aid that I can use with
- Hi, I have been having acne problems for the past
- Can you look at the results of a stool test
- Hi my names is Isabel I’m 24 years old and
- I have had bladder infection after bladder infection on going
- Where can I find a doctor who will test and
- Feeling weak for about a week ! Why ?