I am 77 years old. I have diabetes(A1C 8.2) ,

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 26 Jan 2019 in Diabetes
Question: I am 77 years old. I have diabetes(A1C 8.2) , reflux and lower back pain. I takeNovoLog Mix70/30(insulin) and urinate a lot is there any non prescription medicine to lessen my problem?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About diabetes treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

First, you need to adjust the dose of insulin regarding glucose levels. Despite you apply insulin regularly, the A1c level is high suggesting for the need for higher doses, but fasting and postprandial glucose levels are also needed to suggest which dose to increase.

You need to exclude a urinary tract infection as a cause of frequent urination before dedicating it to high blood glucose. For this, a Urine micro-analysis and culture sensitivity study should be done.

The possibility to switch to antidiabetic tablets depend on renal and liver function and on your BMI.

Hope the information will help.
Feel free to ask further.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee