I am 68 yrs old and on many med's for

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Sun, 20 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am 68 yrs old and on many med's for BP and Type 2 Diabetes. In addition, I take Propecia for my hair - This alone (18 yrs ago), my doctor told me could cause ED. Well, with the Benicar 40mg/12.5; Toprol XL; Cymbalta ( 3- 30 mg's/day); of course Metformin and Synjardy XR 25... My labeto (and any chance of an 'E'), is just not happening. The doc prescribed generic Viagra (50 mg); I even tried 2 at one time; not much help.

Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Craig
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to stop propecia , teprol

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to " Ask A Doctor " service. I have read your question and here is my advice. I can understand the magnitude of your probelm .In fact there are more then one reason which can cause ED .While Diabetes it's self is a common reason but the drugs you take definitely has a role and may be the whole cause .
The most important here is propecia .As very rightly said by your doctor, this drug is anti androgen .Androgen is the main male hormone and blocking this may result in loss of libido and errection problem .I would strongly suggest to stop propecia , Luckily the effects are revirsible .

Other important drugs here are toprol.You can dicuss this with your doc to stop it as it also causes low libido and ED , and this is not a good anti hypertensive specially in diabetic patient. Don't stop it your self but discus stopping it with your doctor.
combylta also can cause problems and may have better alternatives .
So diabetes itself and few of your drugs are responsible. While good diabetic control is essential, stopping propecia is very necessary while we can also think stopping toprol and combyta. There are better alternatives for them.

Hope I have answered your question.Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng