I am 6"2 tall, 92 Kgs. I am not fat;

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 6"2 tall, 92 Kgs. I am not fat; I have a rather thin physique except for my belly. I have a big belly (skinny fat?) and I guess it is mainly from drinking beer every day. I tried a Keto diet (vegetarian) for a month with exercise - mainly cardio and swimming every day - 1 hour each. I lsot about 6 kgs in a month (89 to 83kgs) but not my belly. People told me I looked tired and my face "sucked in") although I did not feel tired....I now desperately want to lose my belly.
Based on the resarches I have been doing on the internet, I need to reduce cardio and give more importance to strength training to build muscles. My body fat percentage is about 24.

Many say muscles help lose fat but there re some who say i need to first reduce my fat to build muscles.

I am looking for advice on diet (can I take whey protein) and exercises and any considerations. I am from XXXXXXX and although I ocassionally eat non-veg, I am mostly vegetarian or "eggatarian".

I have borderline cholesterol when I checked but a year back and doctors suggested exercise and controlled diet instead of medicines.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Decrease calorie intake and increase fluid intake.

Detailed Answer:
To decrease the belly you need to lose fat. Do decrease the calorie intake and increase intake of fruits and salads. To decrease the belly, abdominal strengthening exercises will also help.
You can take whey protein but do decrease the daily total calorie intake. Overall weight reduction will help in the long term.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad