I am 5 ft 11 inch with 52kg weight. Is there any medicine to gain weight?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Hello,
i have a problem gaining weight, at the moment im 5 ft 11 weighing 52kg, is there any type of prescription drug to help me gain weight? it seems even if i try and eat a lot i still dont gain weight.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You have stated your height in Imperial system (Feet / Inches) and the weight in Metric system (Kg)!
Your BMI is around 16 / True, you are underweight (< 18.5) – Normal = 18.5–24.9

The first thing to do MUST be to SEE AN INTERNIST (medical doctor).
     Have a physical examination and investigations (basically blood test) to rule out any cause that can be responsible - like thyroid, sugar and so on. In the young, it may be Anorexia Nervosa - that needs Psychiatric assessment and assistance.
     If nothing is found - which is highly probable - then see a nutrition specialist (Dietician). Several sittings may be required to be well acquainted.

Weight is like bank account. The account grows when you withdraw less (Cut down unnecessary physical work) and you deposit more (eat more).
     So for short term, eat AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE / AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE . HIGH CALORIE food / Sweets and snacks in between. Fatty foods add lot of calorie - one gram of fat (oil) has 8 calorie compared to Carbohydrate having only 4 calories. Sweets have lot of butter and sugar.
     Seek the services of a good DIETICIAN. A high calorie / balanced / easy for compliance diet should be planned. You may need a few sessions to master the nuances.
     Supplement with a multi-vitamin pill once a day
THIS HOWEVER IS BAD IN THE LONG TERM / ESPECIALLY WITH INCREASING AGE / THEY INCREASE CHOLESTEROL and so on. Beware. For a short time and in young age, to indulge like this may be excused...

There is no safe and specific drug for weight gain alone.
It is often the side effect of several drugs like Anti-histamines, Anti-depressants, Anabolic steroids and so on – They have other harmful effects. Better to avoid them.

Eating is influenced by Psychological behaviour and counselling can help

Don't worry. You WILL gain. A time may come, when you may be overweight and start looking for ways to reduce!

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck