Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

I am 49 and perimenopausal. Getting spotting. Started taking vitamin C. Could it be cancer?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 52 Questions
I have been taking vitamin D due to deficiency for about 4 months and will begin taking vitamin C 500 mg everyday after dinner. Are there phosphorus tablets? If so what are they called and how should I take them. I am going to have my vitamin D rechecked next week, is that too soon or did I wIt to long? I am 49 and perimenousal. Is Estrogen, under what circumstances should I take it. Who or where should I go to discuss the vaginal bleeding that comes and goes and is scant? I am worried about cancer. My face is very oily too.
Hope there are answers to my questions
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 9 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

1. This is the right time to get your vitamin D level done. It usually normalises with 2 months of treatment, but there is no harm in waiting a little longer to get it done.

2. There is absolutely no need to take phosphorus tablets unless you have a condition which causes your kidney to leak phosphorus (this condition is extremely rare). All our diets contain enough phosphorus.

3. Estrogen replacement perimenopausally can be started if there are hot flashes that are troublesome.

4. You can XXXXXXX a gynaecologist to evaluate your vaginal bleeding - they will usually do an ultrasound of the pelvis to look at the endometrial thickness. It is also useful to get a TSH (thyroid function test) for the irregular cycles.

Irregular cycles and excessive bleeding are very common but most of the time it's not cancer. It's mainly because your ovary is not functioning properly before it shuts down completely. But you should always get evaluated.

If your gynaecologist or endocrinologist wants to start you on estrogens for menopause they should usually get a satisfactory diagnosis for any abnormal vaginal bleeding and then start the Hormone Replacement Treatment.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: I am 49 and perimenopausal. Getting spotting. Started taking vitamin C. Could it be cancer? 2 hours later
Thank you so much Dr. Anantharaman,
I will see an OB/GYN and get my Vit. D checked. Is an over the counter women's formula multivitamin sufficient instead of a calcium 500 mg tablet. I went to the store today and all they had was calcium 500mg with vit D, but I really like taking my vit B complex stress formula with zinc and C. Are there calcium only tablets of 500mg each.
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 12 hours later
Thanks for writing in. Over the counter preparations typically contain 400 IU of vitamin D with 500 mg of calcium. What you need is 2000 IU per day dose which I think is a prescription drug in the US. Another way you can take the vitamin d is 0000 IU twice a month, for which you will definitely need a prescription. If your vitamin D turns out fine you can probably maintain the levels using 1000 IU of vitamin D
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor