I am 33 weeks pregnant and today i tested myself

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 33 weeks pregnant and today i tested myself with Torch Test. I did so because my father in law has a positive report of torch test.
My values are normal except CMV. I am attaching the report. I am very much worried as i read on internet that it can be transmitted to the fetus and causing birth defects. Please help me out. I cant consult my gny as she is out of station for a week.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please give the dates of the reports attached.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

I have gone through your query and also the attached reports. I can completely understand your concern. I would like to know the dates of the reports attached to know if the titres have risen recently.

At the outset, please allow me to give you some facts. 1. Elevated IgG levels can be due to a recent or past infection. A recent increase in the levels is suggestive of a current infection. Increase in IgM levels is indicative of an acute infection.

2. If the infection is present prior to the pregnancy, risk of affecting the fetus is more than when the infection occurs during pregnancy. If infection occurs in the first trimester, risk of consequences is more.

From the present situation, I think you are relatively safe. However, please get regular follow ups to detect situations like IUGR (growth retardation), anemia, jaundice etc. early enough and treat.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 32 minutes later
This is the only test done today ie 7/12/2018
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rising titres indicate recent infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

I would like to know when was the other sample taken. Rising titres indicate recent infection. Hence, you need to get another sample in a few days to know if your infection is a recent one. If the titres are not rising, it is more likely to be a past infection. Also, IgM levels offer more significant information on recent infection.

Hope this information is useful to you. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

regards,
Shanti.V.