Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

I am 25 years old and overweight. What would be the correct weight and how to reduce weight ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 353 Questions
I am 25 years old and my weight is 70 kg. When I checked my Body Mass Index it said I was over weight for my height of 165 cms. What would be the correct weight for my height ? How to reduce my weight ?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
As per your information, your BMI is 25.7 falling in to category over weight.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 50.4 to 67.8 kilograms.

Healthy weight loss isn't just about a "diet" or "program". It's about an ongoing lifestyle that includes long-term changes in daily eating and exercise habits.

Keep a "food diary" for a few days, in which you write down everything you eat. By doing this, you become more aware of what you are eating and when you are eating. This awareness can help you avoid mindless eating.

Fruits like watermelon, grapes have fewer calories but greater volume. Have those fruits instead of banana/mango which are high calorie.

Eat slowly. If you eat too quickly, you may "clean your plate" instead of paying attention to whether your hunger is satisfied.
Eat only when you're truly hungry instead of when you are tired, anxious, or feeling an emotion besides hunger.
Plan meals ahead of time to ensure that you eat a healthy well-balanced meal.

Cut the sugars in your diet ; if not possible minimize it.
Exercise at least 5 days a week; hit the gym; include cardio and weights which helps to burn the fat.
No need to go below 65 kg; but maintain below 68 kg.
Keep proper dieting, avoid crash diet.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor