I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I want to increase my height. I am 20 years old boy and my present height is 5 Feet 3 Inch. I want to gain more than this height by medicine. And Kindly ensure you tell me about the medicine, No Tips Please.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
I am afraid there is no medication that can be used safely to increase height after you have reached your maximum genetically determined height
Hsakapandit welcome to health care magic.
Some persons recommend the use of exercise which releases different hormones including growth hormone, eating a healthy diet with an adequate milk and protein content and reduced sugars and fats and adequate amount of rest.
A person's height is determined by both genetics and our environment ( how we eat, any illnesses, alcohol, drugs and our level of physical activity.
Growth plates and cartilage at the end of our bone, is found in children and is responsible for adding bone and increasing height. Most persons reach their maximum height within 2 or 3 years after they started their pubertal growth spurt. Males tend to stop growing by age 14 to 16 though some may actually continue to grow into the late teens.
Growth hormone is used in children that have been assessed by their doctors as having too little growth hormone and as result not growing as they should. It is not used in adults whose growth plate is likely to be closed because it can result in a condition called acromegaly. In acromegaly there is excess soft tissue growth in different parts of the body.
I hope this answers your question
Feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli