Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

125 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I actually have a question in regards to my mother.

Answered by
Dr. Yogesh D

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 862 Questions

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: I actually have a question in regards to my mother. she was diagnosed with a sinus infection and possible flu although the flu test came back negative. They gave her Azithromyacin pack and sent her on her way. Since then she has had such a bad headache and nothing relieves it. She's been sleeping most of the day for the past couple of days and I've had to wake her up just to eat and drink. She's recently become kinda confused. She seems to have trouble focusing and I'm repeating myself several times just for her to hear me. Her eyes glass over when I'm trying to talk to her and she just zones out. I'm wondering if now would be the time to get her to the ER because I'm not sure how much I'm really helping.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your mother needs to be admitted to hospital immediately. Maybe meningitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand what is going on.

Based on your description, your mother seems to have developed meningitis (infection spreading into the coverings of the brain) or encephalitis ( infection of the brain itself).

This is a medical emergency and you need to call 911 or take your mother to the emergency room urgently.

She needs to be admitted and must be examined to find out if she has meningitis or encephalitis and if yes then she will need high doses of antibiotics given intravenously.

Please do not ignore.

I hope this information will be of use to you.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on