I Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question here...I went to the ER with chest pain shortness of breath and fast heart rate. I had a EKG blood work CT scan or MRI and echocardiogram. They all came back normal. I was told that I had a panic attack. Should I worry because I read where doctors have misdiagnosed a heart attack for a panic attack. I just want to know that my heart is ok. I need reassurance.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I will also do a chest X ray

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your heart is OK. It is good that all tests related to heart came back normal.

You can check the blood work for troponins and if they are also normal then there is no need to worry.

I will also like to rule out lung problems and would do a chest X ray PA view to rule it out. So you can follow-up with your family doctor about X ray and any blood work that may be pending. You can also upload the tests for me to view.
If these are also normal, then I will encourage you to do breathing exercises (yoga) to release any stress.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 47 minutes later
I had blood work and X-ray at the ER. I’m concerned about doctors misdiagnosed heart attack for panic attacks. I need reassurance.
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 minutes later
I have been to my doctor and cardiologist and they both said I was fine. Why can’t I get it through my head. That is why I’m worried about doctors misdiagnosed a heart attack for panic attack.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Such a misdiagnosis is rare

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Such a misdiagnosis is only possible when all tests are not done.
In your case all tests have been done and heart problem has been ruled out thoroughly.

So there is no need to worry. You can be reassured.

Dr Vaishalee