I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BIPOLAR DISORDER MANY YEARS AGO. I
Details about Ritalin and Clonazepam are explained below.
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
I understand your concern.
Ritalin is mainly used to treat hyperactivity disorders.
In bipolar disorder Ritalin can induce mania.
So, I agree with your last doctor who informed that Ritalin is not recommended in this condition due to side effects.
Clonazepam can be used in bipolar disorders as an additional treatment to reduce the anxiety that can inflict mood swings.
It can be used only when needed, so it is not intended for long-term use.
So, to conclude, I agree with the fact that both medications are not used to treat primarily bipolar disorder.
They should be used only under the supervision and when prescribed by a Psychiatrist for a short term use.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of excessive sweating resulting in the feeling of been...
- What can cause itching and welts on the upper abdomen?
- How to treat itching of the skin with small scabs on hands and arms?
- What type of exercises are advisable for a patient with high blood...
- What causes severe pelvic pain after engaging in sexual intercourse?
- Can Simvastatin cause side-effects after being on it for 4 years?
- What do abdominal pain with difficulty urinating indicate?
- Does mold causes heart palpitation and hot flashes?
- Can Ketamine help treat chronic depression in an elderly person?
- How can itchy rashes on the stomach be treated despite using Lotrix lotion?