I AM TAKING AMLODIPINE MY DOSAGE IS SUPPOSED TO BE

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: I AM TAKING AMLODIPINE MY DOSAGE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A TEN MG PILL ONCE A DAY. I HAVE ACCIDENTALLY TAKEN FOUR TEN MG PILLS DOES THAT CONTITUTE A OVERDOSE? AND SHOULD I BE WORRIED?
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it's overdose , can cause low BP or high her rate

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to Ask A Doctor service. Sorry to hear of the accident .
40 mg of amlodpine is high enough to warrant vesit to the ER.
Infact the great concern is that it can cause seriously low BP , and this effect may be prolonged like few days as half life of amlodpine is quite long.Mostly its remains uneventful but it needs admission and blood pressure and pulse monitoring for some time .
So go to ER urgently as other measures like activated charcol and whole bowel irrigation to avoid absorption of the drug is more effective if early.
Hope it's clear .You dont need to panic but it's necessary to go to the ER.
Please don't hesitate to ask anything else you need to know. kind Regards Dr Rahman.
Regards Dr Rahman
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng