I’m diabetic (under control), BP has risen significantly over the

Cardiologist
Question
I’m diabetic (under control), BP has risen significantly over the past two weeks - endocrinologist increased the BP med and it came down slightly.....I have severe onset of a headache in the past two weeks as well. Comes on very quickly and is intense.....my GP is booked (flu season) - I can see the PA...should I wait to see PA or does this warrant an ER visit? I have also had heart by-pass (roughly 10 yrs. ago) and keep a yearly check up with the cardiologist?
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on Healthcaremagic!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your headaches could be related to the blood pressure fluctuations.

For this reason, I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values.

Do you have any other symptoms like nasal congestion? This could indicate a sinus infection.
Where is the headache located? Is is like pressure type or throbbing?

What is your current anti-hypertensive therapy? Headache could be an adverse effect of many drugs too.

If the headaches persist and are not related to high blood pressure values, I recommend consulting with your PA for a careful physical exam and some tests:

-a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count
- PCR, ESR for inflammation
- blood electrolytes for any imbalance
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid gland dysfunction
- fasting glucose.

A brain CT scan may be needed if the headaches persist.

You should discuss with your PA on the above tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri