Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

I’m a 55 year old healthy male. I’ve been having

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1418 Questions
I’m a 55 year old healthy male. I’ve been having a series of hiccup events for the last three days, accompanied by upper abdominal discomfort. The pain seems to have moved to my esophagus area. I also experience difficulty in swallowing food and have as it has no place for the food to go...yet I’m not full.
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need endoscopy, barium swallow and gastroentrologist review

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you need to get reviewed by a gastroenterologist and to have a Barium studies as difficulty in swallowing isn't a symptom to be ignored. A detailed throat examination and if needed gag reflex should he examined.

A baseline work up for complete blood counts and hemoglobin levels should also be done. Hickups can be due to irritation of stomach linning or diaphragm so a Xray chest and upper abdomen for any signs like gas under the diaphragm or air fluid levels should be done and if needed CT chest and abdomen may be needed. If these all are unremarkable, a baseline endoscopy may be needed.

Meanwhile antacids like omperazole can be continued alongwith Motility agents like domperidone or itapride. In severe hickups, muscle relaxants like baclofen may be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor