Hysteroscopy done using anesthesia. Developed pain in calf and hurts to walk. Is this common?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I had a hysteroscopy a week ago today under a general anesthetic
It was for a myomectemy and ablation. Yesterday I developed a pain in my calf
and it hurts to walk. There is nothing else only the pain. I didnt do anything to
injure or strain it. Is this common?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

After every procedure where the anesthesia is used, there is a risk of veins thrombosis. Especially if you have been taking any hormones. If your calf is also swollen or the skin is tense, this can be thrombosis. You can check it, squeezing your calf gently with your hand and see if it causes the pain. Also try to flex your foot downward whit your knee straighten. Such flexure should also cause the pain.
There is also possibility if arteries blockage. In such case, the leg gets cold (with thrombosis it is rather warmer).
In both cases you should have Doppler ultrasound of veins and arteries.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.