Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Hysterectomy done. Found indentation on breast. Concerned

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I am 55. had a hysterctomy at 49, am not taking HRT.A few days ago I noticed a kind of indentation on my right breast below the nipple close to the base of my breast.only see it when I raise my arms. it is still there so am now concerned. had a mammo a yar ago and all was fine. there is no lump
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly the indentation you described, may be seen in some malignant conditions as well as in some benign conditions also. Considering your age and history of HRT, you should be careful.

You should consult a general surgeon for a clinical examination. After clinical examination, you should do a mammography. It will demonstrate presence of any small lump or any calcification.

As you told, that you did not notice any lump, usually, it would not be any problem. But, you should visit the doctor for confirmation of the situation.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hysterectomy done. Found indentation on breast. Concerned 14 hours later
Thank you for your reply. i have scheduled a mammogram and a visit to the doctor. i am very worried and nervous though and I wondered what are the benign conditions that would give rise to an indentation but no lump (that I can detect). this is just to give myself some hope so that I can stop thinking the worst.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

I can understand your situation.

Look, from my clinical experience, I can assure you that if there is no detectable lump, the condition is not so much severe. It may be very early changes.

So, stop thinking about the worst, and hope for the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor