Hypothyroid, scholiosis in c-spine, lump in neck, pressure under breast and shortness of breath. Related?

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am 5'4" 136 lbs- 50 Year old Female: Since the 28th of Dec- I have experianced chest pain/pressure/ burning/heaviness under my left breast. I thought I was having a heart attack. They did the ekg/chest xray- they said I had costrachronditis. When I really did not improve, went back to me Primary care Dr.- who treated me for pleurisy. Gave me a shot of steroids.
I have significant scholiosis in my c-spine & thorasic that takes a sharp bend near my heart- towards it.
I have been dianosed w/ fybrocystis breast- and had a complete mammo/ultrasound 2 weeks ago. Bi-RAD 4a-6mm Shadowing mass on left breast , that was not present on my last exam. My surgeon is doing a double lumpectomy and biopsy on the 1st. I have not felt well since the 28th. Yesterday when I woke up, and have a lump/sore place under my left cheeks on my face, and sore all under the left side of my jaw. Then last night, when I was getting ready for bed, I took off my sports bra- because the others hurt - and I felt two NEW placed across the sternam- on both breast that feels someone did CPR on me, and his both breasts with a hammer. Each the size of a kernal of corn, but painful outwards of a .50 piece on each.
I went to the ER, very frightened and hurting. They did an CT angiogram- and saw no lyphnodes of growths.Also another ekg & heart enzymes test- all checked out. The ER Doc- when I asked him if the "LOOKED" at my x-ray/CT and if it could be my scholiosis had pushed over my heart/lumgs, replied" if the radiologist didn't write anything about your scholiosis, then it's not bad enough to mention- which led me to believe he did not actually look at the films- just ready the report.
I was on Oxy, the 7 hours I was there, and still have no answers or relief. If all the lypmph nodes on my left side are inflammed/sore/hot- and feel generally ill w/ the added chest pain and pressure- + breast pain- wouldn't that seem like they are all related?
He did no breast exam, he did not feel my neck of face- I told him I feel like I can't breathe as well on the left side and if feels like something is constricting my breathing/hear? He'd listen to my lungs? Isn't that a normal thing to do is listen to the lungs? and the neck of a woman????
He made a flip comment before they released me when I was trying to get some answers- and he said, XXXXXXX well you do have a nodual on the lower left lung- but that was there on the 28th- when you were here- and it's the same size? What? No one said there was a nodual in my lung ever? Albuteral isn't working and advair and I am at my wits end?Help- I need someone to figure this out?
Thanks,XXXXXXX
I also have hypoparathroid/hypothyroid/DDD/Arthritis, Asthma-reactive airway
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 24 hours later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I w2ould like to comment the following;

1. You seem to be having left sided chest discomfort and apparently since your ct angiography and ecg were normal the cause seems to be in the chest wall.

2. Fibrocystic disease of the breast is known to be associated with such symptoms. As rightly decided by your surgeon a biopsy will reveal the diagnosis. Also if any clinically detectable lymph nodes are present then a FNAC would also help.

3. It is also worthwhile to go for a complete evaluation and get your serum extra nuclear antigen profile done to rule out the possibility of any asthma airways needs to be evaluated as per your pulmonary function tests and a Pulmonologist can guide you accordingly.

5. Considering your obesity, you also need to get a polysomnography done to rule out obstructive sleep apnea.

6. Considering your list of allergies, you need to get a complete serum allergy test panel done if possible or atleast a serum IgE level done.

7. The lung nodule as mentioned by your doctor seems to be static on radiographic finding. If you have any doubts regarding the ct angio findings then always a review opinion from the concerned radiologist can be sought.

8. The main investigation at this time is biopsy which you are scheduled for and the future course of action will be decided by it.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if there is any follow up query.
Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist