Hyperthyroidism, tremors in hot nodules, blood in stools, chronic diarrhea. Treatment ?

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: i have hyperthyroidism...a hot nodule...I have frequent diarrhea...can that cause blood in stool?
i am 30 years old...i also have tremors related to this hot nodule....i have been having frequent diarrhea since high school with periodic red blood in stool.
Answered by Dr. CS Narayan 23 minutes later
Hello.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

I understand you need help with your thyroid condition. Your TSH is on the low, and T3 is on the high which indicates your Hyperthyroid status confirmation.

Diarrhea is common in your case, as you have been experiencing, but the occasional blood, needs investigation to be safe. Normally, a little blood is imminent in such a long duration of diarrhea due to eroding of the protective lining of the intestines, but you should get a stool examination done for clearing anything beyond.

Further advice for you:
1. I hope, you know your options of treatment for thyroid - surgery / radiotherapy which will be discussed by your surgeon.
2. Symptoms like diarrhea and tremors will remain till your thyroid tests come normal. So, discuss symptomatic management too with him.
3. Drink plenty of water.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense now.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil
Dr. CS Narayan