Hypertension and HBP. Biopsy showed mildly hyperplastic epidermis. What does this mean?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Doctor, I have query for my mother. She is 49 years old. She has history of Hypertension and high Blood Pressure. From last 10 to 12 years she is taking medicines for High Blood Pressure. From last 6 months she has been detected with mild diabetes. She some times gets swelling on both legs with lumps near foot and below nee area. These lumps are generally pain less. They grow in size and then reduces. But from last 6 months she is getting continuous swelling on her legs. Derm & Ven specialist (Doctor ) has taken several tests, some of them are Skin Biopsy, Chest X-ray, Montonx, HBA, TLC etc. Biopsy report says: mildy hyperplastic epidermis. Dermis shows mild perivascular infiltration by chronic mononuclear inflammatorycells. Subcuties is remarkable. Montox test results 0.34 mm. Angiotensin Converting Enzyme is <5. Chest CT scan report says: (1) Mediastinal lymphadenopathy and few fibrotic opacities in the left lung (2) Peripancrestic adenopathy (visualised FOV). Now can you make me understand in simple terms about what these report says?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 46 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

I can understand your concern. I am giving the explanations one by one.

1.     Biopsy report is nonspecific. That means, the report does not indicate any definite disease condition. Just chronic inflammatory changes are prominent.
2.     Montoux test is negative. That means there is very low chance of tuberculosis.
3.     Low level of Angiotensin converting enzymes indicates absence of sarcoidosis. It is a chronic inflammatory condition.
4.     The CT scan report indicates presence of enlarged lymph nodes around different organs. There is also presence of chronic inflammatory changes in the lung fields.

From the above reports and physical profile, I think your mother is suffering from a chronic inflammatory condition. For a better diagnostic approach, CT scan guided fine needle aspiration cytology may be considered. You can consult with your treating doctor about it.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.