Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Hurt on head, dull ache on head. Does it require medical attention?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1015 Questions
I hit the side of my head about 36 hours ago with a large heavy bag weighing about 23kg (was swinging the bag upwards to put on a shelf - contained snowboard and ski equipment). When it happened I felt "stunned" but no bump or bruising to my head, no dizziness or nausea. Kind of saw stars for a second though. Last night when sleeping had dull ache inside my head in the same are if laying on that side of my head - relieved when changing to the other side but dull ache still there upon waking. Should I have this investigated?
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later
Thanks for your query.

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

As there is no history of vomiting or loss of consciousness after head injury i don't think it is serious. It is common to be stunned after something like that.

I advice you to ask someone to stay with you for the first 48 hours after the injury. Have plenty of rest and avoid stressful situations, do not drink alcohol, do not take sleeping pills, sedatives or tranquilizer. Take painkillers, such as paracetamol, if you have a headache.

Dull ache on that side following injury will always be there for about 2 days. I advice you to see physician if the pain increases and in case of any vomiting. If you are anxious it is better to get your self examined.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor