How to withdraw from Nortriptyline slowly without any side effects?

Dr. Vishal Garala

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Coming down off nortriptyline 3 x 25 mg after 5 years to stop smoking, at 0.5 tab reductions been on 0.5 tab for 4 days, then 3rd day of none vivid dreams. how long does this last, should i go to 0.5 tab every 2nd or 3rd day for a short time. I have ringing in my ears morning and night will this will go when off the nortriptyline.
Many Thanks XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nortryptiline is good drug for smoking cessation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear

Nortryptiline is one of the drug that is used in smoking cessation.

You have taken it since last 5 years.

Dose that you mentioned was 25 mg three times means 75 mg in a day.

Now if you have total abstinence of smoking then need to reduce gradually.

I prefer in my patients to reduce the dose:
From 75 mg to 50 mg in a week.
After 1 wk of 50 mg to 25 mg.

And from 25 to 12. 5 mg in 2nd week.

So you can reduce it from 75 mg to none in over the three week of periods.

You wont experience any symptoms after dose reduction by this method.

Vivid dreams is very rare phenomena and very unusual in dose reduction.

After 3 week you do not have any symptoms probably.

If still you have query than feel free to ask.

I appreciate that you quite smoking .

Hope for the best.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari