How to wean off of Tramadol without withdrawal side effects?

Question
Hi doctor... I am addicted to tramadol and have been taking up to 12 50mg daily. It has been 2 days without tramadol and the withdrawl symptoms are horrible I can't sleep because of pain and sweating I can't eat it is just horrible. Would it be beneficial to go to the ER? Please help. I don't want to be addicted anymore.
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Brief answer...quitting tramadol cold turkey would definitely result in severe symptoms
Detailed answer...
TRANADOL is an opiod analgesic which when used in high doses for long time results in physical dependence.Quitting cold turkey,like you have done,is bound to cause severe problems.
Although the best way to come out of it is to consult a doctor and do it under his supervision but it can be tried by you of your own also.
Taper the amount slowly so that your body starts getting used to the lower doses gradually.
The safest way to taper is to reduce the dose by 10% every week or 10 days.
Although this would take few months to do it but you would definitely come out of it easily.
you may go to ER or start tramadol again and do it as suggested above.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks