How to wean off of Estazolam?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am a 52 year old woman who has taken Prozac and Prosom/Estazolam for 25 years for anxiety, insomnia and depression. Until now, I've had a good career -- despite these conditions.

Currently, I'm living with my brother in upstate NY and have six months where I will not be working. I would like to use this time to wean myself off of Estazolam (if not completely -- at least partially)

I've been under the treatment of a doctor/psychiatrist for depression for most of that time. Last year, I was able to wean myself off of Prozac - from 60 mg to 40 mg. Next, I would like to wean myself off of Prosom/Estazolam. In the last week, I have gone from 4 mg. to 3 mg. per night. I don't sleep well and I feel sick during the day - but no serious symptoms. My hope is that I can continue to take 3 mg for several weeks (during this time, I will be sure to get more exercise, attempt to eat better etc). Then the next leap would be to go to 2 mg. (which had been my dose for the first five years I was on the medication). For me that would be a huge accomplishment - i.e. if in a few months, I could taper from 4 mg. to 2 mg. I would feel that I may eventually be able to get off the medication.

Currently I am unemployed and do not have health insurance. I mention this, because normally I would seek a combination of therapy and a Doctor to do this .....if you have any advice -- or even know of resources on this subject I would appreciate it.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nice plan of doing the tapper

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

The gradual taper of estazolam that you have mentioned is perfectly fine. Even i would have planned it this way only. During the tapper you need to understand that there could be some increased anxiety, and insomnia as well. But theses effects are going to be temporary and wont affect you for long. You need to be patient. Preferably cut down on alcohol and caffeine while you are tapering your medicines.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.