How to wean off Clonazepam?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: HI I AM TAKING CLONAZEPAM 0.5 TABLET RIGHT NOW. I THINK I NEED TO LOWER THE DOSAGE. I KNOW ITS HABIT FORMING AND PLESAE HELP ME WEAN OUT OF THIS MEDICINE.I HAD A STROKE WHICH EFFECTED MY RIGHT SIDE. RIGHT NOW I AM FACING PROBLEM WITH DEXTERITY WITH MY FINGERS ON MY RIGHT HAND AND MY RIGHT LEGS. MY SPEECH WAS RECOVERED WITHIN MONTHS AFTER THE INCIDENT. I AM EXERCISING EVERYDAY. BUT I THINK I HAVE GOT TOO MUCH DEPENDENT ON THE MEDICINE. PLEASE SUGGEST ME WAYS TO OVERCOME THIS DEPENDENCY?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Agree with your thoughts

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I agree that clonazepam is a habit forming drug, as it belongs to a sedative group of drugs, called as benzodiazepines.

As of now, you can lower the dose to 0.25 mg once daily at nights. After a month, reduce it further to 0.25 mg on alternate days.

If you are well, then, after two months, clonazepam can be completely stopped.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://yyyyy.yyyyyy.com/

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad