• question-icon

How to wean off Citalopram?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hi I have been on Citalopram 20mg for several years. I feel fine whilst taking it but would prefer to stop. When I have tried to stop, very gradually, my symptoms worsen and I restart. I have heard that Ashwagandha may be a suitable alternative. How would I go about ceasing Citalopram and starting Ashwagandha please?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No scientific evidence for ashwagandha.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

There is no scientific evidence to prove that ashwagandha helps in or reduces the intensity of withdrawal symptoms due to citalopram.

If the very gradual taper is also not working, the other strategy which I use in my patients is to switch to fluoxetine. This has a long half life of 1 week which makes it easier to withdraw from this drug.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist