How to wake up a sleeping infant for feeding?

Pediatrician
Question
How to wake up the baby who is just 20 days old.
Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Is it for breast feeding the child?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I assume that you want to feed the baby and therefore want to wake the baby. In such a case placing the baby on your breast, and inserting the nipple with areola in the mouth og the baby will automatically initiate the sucking and the purpose would be served. You may need to tickle the sole of the baby sometime.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: How to wake up a sleeping infant for feeding? 34 minutes later
While feeding in the day time baby will be active for XXXXXXX 2 mins, again i have to tickle him to wake up.but im unsuccessful. He is urinating 2-3 times daily.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not normal

Detailed Answer:
Unless the baby passes urine 6 times or more in 24 hours it indicates that the baby is not getting adequate feeds. That could indicate that the baby is lethargic and an infection would need to be ruled out. You need to visit a doctor for the same.

Follow-up: How to wake up a sleeping infant for feeding? 22 hours later
These are blood reports of my baby. Is it required to go to hospital immediately or morning is ok ??

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Report is normal

Detailed Answer:
The blood report is normal. No need to worry. You can go to the hospital in the morning.

Follow-up: How to wake up a sleeping infant for feeding? 48 hours later
Hello doctor,
I could see some orange color spot in my baby's urine. What could be the cause???

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to concentrated form

Detailed Answer:
It is possible that the urine is relatively concentrated giving it an orangish look. You may try giving more feeds and that should suffice. If it still does not help, it would be a good idea to get the urine tested (routine microscopy).