How to verify that the medication is authentic/brand-name?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. Rynne - thank you for being available to respond to question, especially those as silly as mine, on a Sunday. I take quite a few medications, some prescribed by Rx script, others are OTC recommended supplements. My wife is kind enough to fill the trays that I use for most of them - and then she leaves me notes concerning meds. that I appear to be running low on. I take Nadolol and it was on her "running low" sheet this week. I was trying to devise a method of determining when I would run out of a particular med., and I decided to use Nadolol as a test case. I am trying to determine the number of tabs. (or capsules, caplets, etc.) of partially used bottles by weight. Is there a place where I can verify the generic for a particular pill and find the weight of a pill. Thank you and sorry for taking so long with my question. I have some distractors in the area and multi-tasking because my wife wants me to do something else. Thanks again, XXXXXXX Cooke
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
using weight is not feasible...Counting is the best approach!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am happy to know your wife is helping you our with filling the medications. This is very important to ensure that you are taking the medications as recommended. I will suggest you go with counting as this is a more efficient way to count drugs and know when they are running out of stock. Weighing seems not practicable and would be very difficult to navigate.

When you buy drugs, you can divide the total number of pills by how many pills you take a day. This would give you an idea for how many days this can last. Fro example, if you get a refill of 60 tablets and you take 2 tablets per day, then 60/2=30. This means the pills can last fro 30days. You can then plan on getting them refilled about 5days to when they are projected to go out of stock so that you can always have them.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ivo Ditah