How to validate ultrasound results?

Question
I have a question due to receiving rather odd results from multiple sources. Today I received an ultrasound result which found 'mild coarse texture' to my liver - however I also got a Fibroscan which reported a '5' or 'no significant fibrosis'. Aren't these contradictory reports? Was there an error somewhere down the line, and what is more reliable?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly provide ultrasound&Fibroscan reports...

Detailed Answer:

Can you please provide the full reports of your ultrasound and fibroscan, so I can explain specifically each of these reports?

From what you are describing, the findings of ultrasound and fibroscan are indicating the same thing: "mild changes in liver texture" (i.e. possible liver disease).

It is true that your Fibroscan is reporting "no significant fibrosis". To my impression, it means that fibrosis is present but it is at the early stages and won't cause any permanent changes to your liver.

However, the requested reports would give more lights on possible liver problems you might be experiencing.

As you are a young male, the most common cause might be drinking alcohol. If you stop drinking alcohol, and follow a healthy diet and lifestyle regimen, the changes to the liver will be subsided too.

Looking forward to have the requested reports in!
Dr.Sejdini

Follow-up: How to validate ultrasound results? 26 minutes later
The only finding on the ultrasound itself was "mild coarse texture" - however my Fibroscan 'stiffness' report was 5 - or F0-F1.

I have a possible iron overload disorder, and have drank my fair share of alcohol in the past four years. Hence my worries about my liver. I had elevated liver stuff in blood two months back - I have since stopped drinking alcohol completely and follow a strict vegan diet.

So I suppose my question is - are these reports truly conflicting and did one of them mess up, or can they be compatible? Can a liver appear 'mildly coarse' on an ultrasound and then somehow NOT have significant fibrosis?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Non conflicting results:they are compatible...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

As you have a history of iron overload disorder (hemochromatosis) and have been drinking fair share of alcohol in the past, then, both of them are the causes to your actual liver problems.

Both ultrasound and fibroscan reports are not conflicting; they are COMPATIBLE.

They are shown in 2 different languages:
- ultrasound: mildly coarse
- fibroscan: f0-f1

The final words: your liver is mildly damaged by hemochromatosis and use of alcohol. You have identified earlier these damages due to high liver enzymes.

The actual lifestyle and diet changes together with vitamins supplementation (or other medications as prescribed by your doctor) will help reverse such changes and hopefully, bringing your liver back to its normal aspect and functioning.

You have to be very determinative as it might need some time and should not use alcohol for all your life long.

All the best!
Dr.Sejdini