How to use hhlite cream? Any side effect?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hello doctor, i need to know how to use hhlite cream correctly. my doctor advised me to use it with glycerine, is it right? also are there any side effects of hhlite cream because on the tube is written that exposure to sunlight will cause re-pigmentation of bleached areas as i once did had my face bleached.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

HHLite cream is skin lightening cream contains a steroid along with Tretinoin and Hydroquinone.

Tretinoin is a slight irritant to skin. To overcome the effect and with an added benefit steroid is included. This combination is to be applied gently over the darkened areas preferably at night.
The reasons for dark pigmentation must be removed if possible. Certain drugs like analgesics, oral steroids, Hormones, (Contraceptives in case of ladies) etc., food coloring agents, fragrance agents, external frequent use of pain balms are few reasons. (apart from certain natural variation in the hormones of the body during menopause in case of women).

Then the darkness will get lightened within 2-3 months of application of HHLite. It is not necessarily to be applied with Glycerine. It may cause some irritation in some individuals. To overcome this side effect your doctor would have advised you to apply along with Glycerine. Glycerine is also a drying agent. Tretinoin will likely to produce dry skin in some people. So Glycerine is not necessary.
If you have not take adequate precaution to avoid exposure to sunlight in future, you may likely to recur with re-pigmentation.
Long term use of Hydroquinone, topical steroids and tertinoin also may likely to cause serious side effects.
So follow the guidelines of your dermatologist carefully.

Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 52 minutes later
I applied it on the non dark spot areas as well did I do wrong? My major dark spot area includes mainly my forehead and a few on both the cheeks so I kind of used the cream and covered my face entirely.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Welcome back with your feedback questions.

You should apply the cream only on the darkened area. It is a bleaching skin agent. If you apply to the entire face then unwanted hypo-pigmentation will occur in non affected area which you don't like.

Some tips for lifestyle modification. If you drive a two wheeler you can use a helmet covering the entire face area. You can have a cap with a sunshade. When you go by walk try to use an umbrella.
Apart from these you can also apply sun screening lotion in the morning and afternoon to avoid recurrence of darkness.

Wish you a good luck.
Dr S. Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
hello doctor,
last night is the first time i used it on my face so do you think i did it wrong by applying it on my entire face and will i now prone to get hypo-pigmentation? also after that im feeling a little irritation but no redness on my face. what should i do now? clean up my face with a chilled water perhaps or something better you advise!

also how long should i continue the use of it?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

The following are my replies to you:

1. HHlite cream will not produce hypo-pigmentation with a single application. It may happen with more than 2 weeks use. So you need not be concerned.

2. The little irritation will vanish after a day or two. If it persists, stop the cream completely for or a week and just apply some moisturizer. You will be alright. You may restart HHLite cream only on the affected area after complete normalcy once again for two months.

3. At the end of a month, plan a review back to your dermatologist.

4. If the current irritation is severe and troubling you, the perhaps a visit back to your treating doctor would be helpful; off course after stopping the cream. He/she can prescribe an appropriate medicine and alternatives for future use.

I hope all your doubts are cleared. Let me know if you need more clarifications.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad