Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to treat the problem of hair loss?

Answered by
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 4168 Questions

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am 63 and don't like the fact that I am loosing my public hair. This is an embarrassing concern and it seems that most people don't care if they loose theirs...not true with myself. Is there anything that I can do to regrow or at least, stop this process.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kinldy see the detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare magic. I can understand the concern of losing hair. I can get from your query that it is pubic hair which you wanted to mention. This type of condition of losing hair is known as Alopecia areata. It can affect any hair growing site. Before I guide any further I would like to ask you few relevant things in relation to your condition: -Since how long you are suffering from the problem of losing hair. - Are these areas appear as patchy or a kind of generalized loss of hair. -Any other area such as scalp or eyebrows affected - Do you feel sudden greying of hair at any of th areas. I hope you will not be bothered to give some additional information so that I can help you better. With regards, Dr Sanjay MD Dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 days later
I have been loosing my pubic hair for about 2 or 3 yrs now. Most of the hair is gone right in the middle creating a central bold area. Yes the hair has started to turn gray, however, I feel this has been gradual over the last couple of years. I have been loosing my eye browns for probably the last 5 years or so which is mostly at the outside sections....however, the thicker part of my eye brows, towards the bridge of my nose is thinning as well. The hair on my head has thinning, however, I don't have any bold spots. I would say that it is the thinnest at the top front on my head. Thank you for any help.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly follow the sugestions below Detailed Answer: Hello madam, Welcome again to the forum. Thanks for providing all the relevant details of you query. After correlating all the facts I can make out that the hair hall is generalized process form the scalp to the eyebrows and pubic areas. It is too early to make a diagnosis without a physical examination but even then I would like to suggest you to help out in getting rid of this problem. The very first thing I want to suggest you is to go for a complete blood count including hemoglobin. Many a times we have seen that due to low hemoglobin concentration (known as anemia) there is a fall of hair as expressed in your case. In my own clinical experience anemia is one of the most common cause of long term hair fall. Secondly I further suggest you to go for thyroid profile- including T3, T4 and TSH. It is because of the fact that losing hair especially near eyebrows is most commonly expressed in low thyroid status. Lastly it can be due to a condition known as alopecia areata- an autoimmune condition where there is loss of hair due to autoimmune process to the hair roots For the treatment part : I suggest you to start iron supplementation by medication. You must take at least 2-3 months of course of iron tablet daily. Additionally a tablet containing biotin would be very much helpful in for at least 2-3 months of time. If the thyroid profile is showing any derangement then you would require proper thyroid treatment. In case of you do not see any improvement then it would require personalized close examination to see this entity of problem by a dermatologist. I further suggest you to take best of your diet containing good amount of protein, vitamins and minerals in form of fruits, green vegetables and sprouts. I hope all these informations will help you. If you have nay further queries I would be glad to help. With regards, Dr Sanjay MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Alopecia

doctor1 MD

Hi,I am losing my hair n I am just 23. 1) When did you start noticing the problems - 1yr back 2) Do you have dandruff or any scalp conditions? They can increase hair loss, prompt treatment helps - itchy scalp but almost cured it. 3) Are you on any medications for any medical conditions? No 4) Are you married? No 5) How much hair do you lose per day? Do you see hair coming into your hand when you try to pluck a bunch? at around 150 6) How is your general health? Ok, Stress! Thanks!

doctor1 MD

I am facing hair loss for the past 24 months, lost some hair on the center and front of the head. I consulted a doctor and he suggested to use foltene pharma hair rejuvenator supplement with keraglo men tablet. I used it for 2 months and the result was very good. The hair loss stopped rapidly and also dandruff disappeared. It was good for 2-3 months and again the hair fall increased.

doctor1 MD

My daughter is 12 years old & has been a Vyvanse patient since she was 7. As a child, always having a full head of hair...she is suffering from severe hair loss. She started off on 20 mg. & now that she has moved up to 60 mg. the hair loss is even more uncontrollable. We were always told she had alopecia, We use steroid topical cream for her scalp, but locations of baldness are changing. Nothing seems to be working for her & we need help!!!

doctor1 MD

hello doctor,I have long hair , since 2009 every year in the month of june to August I face hair loss from roots.I am 26 years old, married and take a good diet and have no stress. More hair fall when I take a Head wash .also my scalp becomes itchy in these months. What do I do?

doctor1 MD

Hello Doc, I am having small to medium bald patches on vertex to front elevated side of scalp and few towards back. This is there since pas 5 months, for sometime they dissapear and now i had close cut and they reappeared back, when closely...

doctor1 MD

Sir I am suffering hair fall & severe head loss at middle of head. I consulted skin specialist who prescribed minoxidil solution 2% ;finaster idea 1 mg. But due to mild elevation in SGPT he told to apply minoxidil. I am trying for next baby; is...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doc, I am writing this to my previous interaction with you sometime before. I contacted you with regards to the problem to my hair, I had bald patches all over my head and later you have given me an answer. your last answer "I have reviewed...