How to treat severe heartburn?
Acid peptic disorder.
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query my dear patient,
As per the details given by you,You are having acid peptic disorder. Ranitidine is a H2 blocker and does not inhibit the baseline production of acid in stomach.
Acid peptic disorder should be treated in two phases-
1)Control production of acid-For which you are on Ranitidine But i would suggest you to switch over to Omeprazole 40 mg twice daily(OTC)
2)To prevent the acid formed inside stomach to reflux back into esophagus-(This part of treatment is not covered by your doctor)-I would suggest you to add Levosulpiride. It is a prokinetic drug and is very effective in controlling reflux of acid back into esophagus.A better way is to take it with Omeprazole trials have shown that its very effective when combined with PPI's.
An endoscopy should be done to rule out possibilities of peptic ulcers.
General precautions are-
Follow a bland diet (low acid levels, low in fat, not spicy)
Eat frequent, small meals.
Avoid the use of alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine.
Do not eat food less than 2 hours before bedtime.
Raise the head of the bed before sleeping.
Avoid clearing of the throat.
Hope my answer was helpful.
Please do let me know if you need more details.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How is heartburn treated in pregnant women
- Avocado causing severe heartburn
- Late for period and severe heartburn
- Severe heartburn with doxycycline
- Severe heartburn in chest
- Carbimazole severe indigestion heartburn
- Severe heartburn in third trimester
- Suggest treatment for severe heartburn
- Food poisoning severe heartburn
- Severe heartburn in pregnancy