Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to treat severe heartburn?

Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 2164 Questions

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have severe heartburn
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acid peptic disorder.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query my dear patient,
As per the details given by you,You are having acid peptic disorder. Ranitidine is a H2 blocker and does not inhibit the baseline production of acid in stomach.
Acid peptic disorder should be treated in two phases-
1)Control production of acid-For which you are on Ranitidine But i would suggest you to switch over to Omeprazole 40 mg twice daily(OTC)
2)To prevent the acid formed inside stomach to reflux back into esophagus-(This part of treatment is not covered by your doctor)-I would suggest you to add Levosulpiride. It is a prokinetic drug and is very effective in controlling reflux of acid back into esophagus.A better way is to take it with Omeprazole trials have shown that its very effective when combined with PPI's.

An endoscopy should be done to rule out possibilities of peptic ulcers.
General precautions are-
Follow a bland diet (low acid levels, low in fat, not spicy)
Eat frequent, small meals.
Lose weight.
Avoid the use of alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine.
Do not eat food less than 2 hours before bedtime.
Raise the head of the bed before sleeping.
Avoid clearing of the throat.

Hope my answer was helpful.
Please do let me know if you need more details.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 12 hours later
I have bi polar disorder is Levosulpiride ok for bipolar
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up

Detailed Answer:
Yes it would be fine.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on