How to treat persistent phlegm?

Posted on Fri, 27 Oct 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For the past 3 weeks I have had severe phlegm around vocal cords. I'm tired of clearing my throat at least 50 times a day. I don't know if it is some kind of fungus infection or not. I have the Breo inhaler. Sometimes I probably forget to rinse out my mouth. I have no other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acid reflux disease, unresolved sinusitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have understood your problem, I will do my best to help you out with this.

Excess phlegm in the throat could be due to various reasons such as acid reflux disease, unresolved sinusitis, pharyngeal infection/allergy, etc.

In your age, the commonest problem is due to acid reflux disease secondary to the lax lower esophageal sphincter. During stress, the acid regurgitation from the stomach into the upper digestive tract causes constant irritation of the mucosa leading to excess mucus production.

Secondly, there can be post nasal drip secondary to unresolved sinusitis.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink frequent sips of warm water
2. Avoid chilled food and beverages, coffee and smoking if any.
3. Do steam inhalation 2-3 times in a day for 3-5 minutes to reduce the inflammation of the vocal cords and the nasal mucosa.
4. You may require a mucolytic such as bromhexine or guaiphenesin for reliving the mucus.
5. If the symptoms do not improve with the above measures, you should consult your doctor for a complete evaluation of the nose and the throat.

Hope this answers your query, I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist