How to treat numbness and tingling sensation in the lip?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi,
I have sore tip of tongue, base of tongue very slight irritabiiity, numbness and tingling on lower front lip
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need neurological review and cranial nerves examination

Detailed Answer:
Hello

We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though local causes like infections or papillae atrophy or thrush can sometimes cause the same set if symptoms however central or neurological causes needs to be ruled out as first priority.

A detailed neurological examination and cranial nerves examination is needed.

A CT head and neck and Brain needs to be done preferably with contrast to rule out any mass lesion or signs of nerve impaction as tastes are carried through two or three nerves and pass through a complex course and any impengement can lead to such symptoms.

Facial nerve integrity also needs to be ruled out. Iron levels and B12 and folic acid levels should also be monitored alongwith sugar levels and replacement of these micronutrients should be started.

Take Care!
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T