Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

188 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to treat lower left abdominal pain?

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 2850 Questions

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have pain in the lower left abdomen under the rib cage
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions so that I can advise.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. Swafford,

Do you mean under your rib cage in the upper left abdomen? This is usually a result of a problem with the stomach such as gastritis but can be from muscle wall strain, pancreatitis, or other causes.

Can you tell me more about this - specifically:
1. How long have you had this?
2. How severe is the pain?
3. When does it occur - after eating, when you have no food in stomach, other times?
4. Any other symptoms? Black tarry or blood in stool? Diarrhea? Burping? Abdominal bloating/distension?
5. Any recent infections? Any recent travel?
6. What makes it worse? Certain foods? Bending? Coughing?
7. Any recent medications (including over the counters such as Advil)?
8. What is the nature of the pain - cramps, burning, etc?

Thanks, I'll write more information after I hear back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on