How to treat low platelet count and low vitamin-B12 levels?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: Ii have low platlets because of pernecious anemia or b12 intrusive factor how can I make. My platlets
High enough for back surgery the Dr.said mine are to low?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
improving B12 levels

Detailed Answer:
If you improve your vitamin B12 levels by the shots and sublingual B12 you are taking then hopefully your platelet counts will improve to normal. There are other things that can cause platelet abnormalities so once your vitamin B12 is restored to normal then if your platelet counts are still low your doctors may need to do some further testing. Sometimes even a bone marrow biopsy is required.
It is also possible that if you need an urgent surgery that the surgeons can give you platelet infusions at the time of surgery.
I wish you the best,
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Kathy Robinson

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1989

Answered : 3478 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Bone marrow

doctor1 MD

Stem cells for a knee! Dear doctors My diagnosis is chondromallatio patellae. Does someone can answer regarding stem cell treatment of patella....

doctor1 MD

I am a 52 year old female. 6 years post hysterectomy. No Ovaries. I am on meds for depression and antiflamattories for severe shoulder tendinitis...

doctor1 MD

I was told yesterday that part of my 12th rib is missing. I will undergo bloodwork and total skelatel xrays next week. My doctor said it could be...

doctor1 MD

My father-in-law is currently in the hospital. Yesterday he had surgery, they took some bone marrow from his hip and basically are constructing his...

doctor1 MD

Hi.My doctor has advised to take Folitrax 2.5 mg for Psoriasis treatment. She is 72 year old. Is it advised to have this medicine. Please advise.

doctor1 MD

can aplastic anemia be treated with testosterone therapy . the are quite a number of tests (from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX to lesser known medical schools)...

doctor1 MD

What cause bone marrow edema ? My mri found 9 mm region of bone edema on iliac part of si joint on the left side I’m concerneed it might be...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

187 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction