Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

161 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to treat keratoconus in the eyes?

Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1991

Answered : 238 Questions

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have problem of Keratoconus in both my eyes . As per my discussion with doctors its in initial stage so no further treatment is required . However from last few days I have a lot of itching in my both eyes . Though I use Genteal and Accupat eye drops , but they give temporary relief . Please suggest .
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Corneal Collagen Cross linking with Riboflavin

Detailed Answer:
I would suggest you to go for-
(Corneal Collagen Cross linking with Riboflavin)
It is based on collagen cross-linking with ultra-violet A and Riboflavin.This changes the internal biomechanical property of thecornea, increasing its strength by almost 400%. This increase in corneal strength hasbeen shown to arrest the progression of Keratoconus. You can visit any big superspeciality hospital for it.

This is non invasive.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
As I mentioned in my previous email , I have already discussed with many doctors ( at Visitech , Medanta and AIMMS ) and none of them recommended me C3R .I don't know why without looking at even basic reports you have directly recommended C3R . Also problem is not Keratcnous , problem is irritation in eyes .

Agagin to be precise , The problem I am facing is irritation in my eyes . I am already using Gentel and Accupat Eye Drop , however they give me temporary relief . Please suggest how can I get the permanent solution ?

Any update ?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Firstly you have not attached any reports with your query.
Secondly apart from using those drugs no other option is available
Accupat contains both anti inflammatory and anti histaminic.
Gentreal contains lubricating agent.What else can an opthalomologist prescribe?
If you don't want to go for any invasive procedure you can try taking antihistaminic orally for 5 days and see if itch responds to it.
Tab allegra 180 mg once daily for 5 days.
Tab Diclo 100 sr once a day.
Apart from that doctor can only prescribe different brand names of same group of salts.
Your primary treatment is fully correct and if you are not feeling better then you have to proceed with other options.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on