How to treat itching on the legs?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What can I do to relieve sever itching front back of torso and legs?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding itching on torso and legs

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps you have a dryness of skin- Xerosis. Xerosis is a common cause of itching in elderly age group.
I suggest you apply a moisturizer, frequently. In addition to this, you may take a tab Cetirizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.

Do you have any associated skin lesions? I'd request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Pictures on front and back of torso. When scratched the ones on back bleed slightly.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Xerosis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

You certainly have Xerosis and excoriations from scratching the area. I suggest you to apply a moisturizer frequently. It would be even better if you can also apply a moderately potent topical steroid e.g betamethasone valerate 0.1 %cream mixed with the moisturizer(1:1). In addition you may take a tab. Cetrizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.