How to treat flatulence in a breastfed baby?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 3 Oct 2018 in Child Health
Question: Yes. I have a week old baby and he is very gassy? What can I do to help with the problem? He is breastfed and does not take formula.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Just continue breast feeding. Nothing else.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. If the child is exclusively breastfed, you need not worry if the child is flatulent (gassy). All you need to do is to continue to give breast milk and nothing else. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed.

All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach into the food pipe, thus providing relief. You can otherwise give Coliaid Drops when if the child seems to be crying inconsolably.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 36 minutes later
While the baby is gassy; he is also very fussy, about 5 times or more a day. Is all this okay? There are no other visible or physical symptoms to report.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:

I do not see a cause for concern.
Just continue breast feeding.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician