How to treat diarrhea and vomiting in an infant?
ORS is the mainstay of treatment
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that your child has an episode of gastroenteritis or food poisoning. It could be due to contaminated food or improper hand hygiene.
In any case, you need to give your child some antiemetic like ondansetron as and when needed, especially before feeds (15 min-30 min prior to feeds). Such stomach problems and loose stools may persist for a 2-5 days before it resolves. Please be patient. You may give probiotics like Refora R. Also give curd or yogurt since it contains plenty of beneficial bacteria and should help.
In any case, the mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution). Unless the lost salts and fluids are replenished the child would become dehydrated. The urine output needs to be monitored. If the frequency comes down it indicates dehydration and calls for additional supplementation of fluids. But if the child becomes lethargic you would need to take the child to a hospital without delay.
Give zinc supplements like Zinconia Syr 5 ml once daily for the next 10 days. You need not worry. It should gradually return back to normal.
Feel free to write back.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to treat diarrhea
- How to treat abdominal pain followed with vomiting and diarrhea
- How to treat diarrhea in an year old infant
- Treating vomiting and diarrhea
- How to treat diarrhea with nausea
- How to treat diarrhea in a toddler
- How to treat diarrhea naturally
- How to treat ibs diarrhea
- How to treat problem of continuous vomiting an diarrhea
- How to cure diarrhea of an infant
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever