How to treat chest congestion, sore throat, fatigue and high fever?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Wed, 8 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi. It's about my daughter. She's 14 y/o. 3 days ago she had significant stomach pain w/ nausea. Now she's having congestion and sore throat, fatigue, and 96.5 body temperature. Just wondering how concerned I should be and if I should see a DR.
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is most probably a viral infection in the guts

Detailed Answer:

I have read your question and I understand your concern regarding your daughter.
In this time of the year, there are many gastrointestinal viruses going around. They usually infect children or old people, since their immunity is weaker.
The infection starts with stomach pain with nausea, since the stomach is the first organ where the virus starts to reproduce and excrete toxins.
Then it spreads in the whole gastrointestinal system, from the mouth to the intestines, causing congestion, sore throat, diarrhea and vomiting.
Fatigue, loss of appetite and temperature are associating signs.
This may last up to 5-7 days, depending on how much aggressive the virus is.

I recommend to stay hydrated. Give your daughter many fluids, like soup, water, fruit juices, or whatever it comes to mind.
Use Tylenol for the temperature.

If your daughter wants to throw up, don't stop her. Let her do this. The body wants to clean itself from the virus.

After 7 days from the start of the symptoms, if your daughter doesn't get well and if you see worsening of the symptoms, then take her to a DR.

But I judge that she will get better, as 99.9% of patients do.

Take Care!
Dr. Eni,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana