• question-icon

How to treat chemical burn?

Posted on Thu, 3 Dec 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: how do you care for chemical burn? I got intoo some chemicals working with my mom. I have chemical burn all over my stomach and legs
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Emergency care followed by rehab

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Ideal care for chemical burn is immediate with in 5 minutes which starts with removal of contaminated clothes or jewellery from the body, irrigation with water as soon as possible , applying some gauze over the burn site. With chemical burns due to solutions with metallic lithium, sodium, potassium, or magnesium has occurred, irrigation with water can result in a chemical reaction that causes burns to worsen and mineral oil is used.

Now that we are out of prehospital care immediate rush to emergency department should be considered as different chemical burns have different management, Talk to a general surgeon or find a burn unit and let them assess the damage and proceed with the desired management.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan