How to treat boil and swelling at the coccyx ?

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

I got a sort of boil or swelling at the coccyx. I am experiencing pain while i sleep on my back.

Please suggest ASAP .....Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Can you give me some more info about the problem?
1. When did it appear?
2. Approx size,colour,?
3. Is it movable?
4. Is there a discharge from it.?

The answers to these questions along with the good picture of the affected site can help me in addressing your issue better. You can send the picture to YYYY@YYYY , subject as Attn Dr. Rhea Chanda.

Awaiting your reply.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Dear Doc,

I am experiencing the pain (without the lump) since past 4-5 days.

The lump is being developed just 1-2 days back.

Size of lump is about XXXXXXX an inch or so. color is same as skin color but a bit faint.

It is not movable. I did not get what you mean by movable. But it is static at one place only.

As of now there is no discharge from the swelling.

I am mailing you the pic as per ur details @ healthcare with subject line as per details shortly.

Please suggest any cream or medication.

Many thanks in advance !
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 minutes later

I gone through your pictures, though I feel you will have to be examined for a confirmed diagnosis.

The picture and description could be consistent with a pilonidal cyst/abscess. That is probably the most common and possible diagnosis. If yes, given the size of it a surgical excision is helpful.

Some other possibilities are sebaceous cyst and folliculitis.

Pain can be relieved by simple analgesics like Paracetmol 500 mg available over the counter, the other alternative is hot fomentation over the area.

A final diagnosis can be made through examination by a local doctor.

Hope I answered your questions.

Wish you Good Health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 24 hours later
Dear Doc,

May I know the estimate for the surgical treatment for the same ?

Also please suggest me some good doc in Hyderabad area, if possible.

I cannot spend much on this since I am facing some financial issues. So I want to know what to do of this !

Please reply. Thanks a lot for your support.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 46 minutes later

Well,the cost will vary from doctor to doctor. Private hospitals will charge more with the procedure cost upto INR 10,000. It is a simple procedure that takes only 15 to 30 minutes to remove. It can be a done by an General Surgeon.

But government aided hospitals will be much more economical. You can go to the surgical OPD whichever suits you.

Meanwhile you can use painkillers, antibiotics and hot fomentation/sitz bath.

But although its not an emergency, the procedure should be done soon if you are in much pain. At least see a doctor and get the medicines.

You can mail to YYYY@YYYY for a good doctor in Hyderabad and I am sure you will get proper assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Rhea Chanda


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3161 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Pilonidal sinus

doctor1 MD

i am a 33 year old mother of 3 and while I was pregnant with my third I noticed I started getting itchy in my butt area. I thought it might have...

doctor1 MD

i have just been diagnosed with a pilonidal cyst which has burst. I have been on penicillin for almost a week. Although it is healing well, I am...

doctor1 MD

my son is thirteen and has been having a discharge from his left nipple which now looks bloody. He is due for surgery for a pilonidal sinus soon....

doctor1 MD

I suffer from pilonidal sinus infection i have it over a year now its formed like a second hole....should i be worried? also i do scuba dive so was...

doctor1 MD

The tip of my tailbone aches and is sore. It started about 3-4 weeks ago. I travel a tremendous amount and it could be noting other than long...

doctor1 MD

hi..i have a bleeding cyst just above my buttocks line..pls suggest the cure

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have pilonidal sinus and I am going for surgery in the next week. All the reports are normal. But ny doctor asked that does my penis foreskin...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

154 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction