question-icon

How to treat an itchy red spot on the nape of the neck?

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018
Question: On the nape of my neck i have this itchy red spot, it's gone hard and won't seem to go. I've had it for a few months. I was just wondering what it was/ what I can do to treat it?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

You seem to have seborrheic dermatitis, it presents as red, itchy, scaly patches on scalp and face. I suggest you to apply a topical steroid e.g. Cortisone cream, twice daily. In addition, I suggest you to use a Ketoconazole based shampoo regularly.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (3 hours later)
Isnt that just dandruff? I dont seem to have issues with the rest of my scalp/ head. Just one tiny spot on my neck.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Yes, seborrheic dermatitis are commonly referred to as dandruff.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (2 hours later)
Thank you. But it is only one small patch on my neck. It looks and feels like a hard spot. There are no flakes. Can it present this way?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Flaking can be minimal.Flakes becomes more obvious if the surface of patch is scratched. Other features of a seborrheic dermatitis patch are redness and itching.In this image I can also see a raised bump with a pus head. This seems like a bacterial folliculitis.

Dr. Kakkar S.,
Dermatologist
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist