Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

How to treat allergy to dogs?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 709 Questions
Hi there...just a quick question regarding allergies. I've never been allergic to anything my entire life. I've always been allergy free and have been able to be around any animal or in any environment without issue. Suddenly, at age 29, I am brutally allergic to dogs. My eyes get red and wattery, I sneeze, my nose gets's terrible. And it seems to be all dogs. I've never heard of an adult on-set allergy such as this before. Could you possibly shed some light on how this is possible and if it's possible to reverse it? Thanks!!
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Allergy can strike at anytime. Detailed Answer: Hello sir, Contrary to popular belief allergies can strike at anytime in one's lifetime. The general rule in allergy management is - if it is possible to stay away from allergens (allergy causing agents) then stay away from them as far as is possible. When it comes to pets, individuals who are identified to be allergic to pets are advised to not keep pets at home, if pets are already present then they are advised to keep them outside the bedroom and to not replace them after their death. If they are unable to stay away from pets then they should take anti allergic medication which includes an antihistamine, a steroid nasal spray and in your case some anti histamine eye drops. Sadly there is no way to reverse your allergy. There is no way to guess how your allergy will behave in future. It may get worse, or persist in the same way or subside. You have 2 options, as I said you can stay away from dogs or take allergy medication. immunotherapy claims to cure allergy but it is reserved from people with intractable allergies. Feel free to follow up. Dr Rajkishori.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor